Banana bread is such a delicious thing and it’s one of my favorites. It’s great to have for breakfast, with dinner or as a dessert. This version comes out very moist and delicious, and since this recipe comes from Cooking Light, I’m hoping it’s on the healthier side. (But who are we kidding? That’s a lot of sugar and butter) It definitely has more of a cake texture than a bread texture, but it’s still not overly sweet.
I’d definitely recommend waiting until your bananas are completely brown and almost inedible. This will not only make the cake more moist but you’ll also have a stronger banana flavor. Also, I find that adding a bit more yogurt helps keep it moist. Mine bakes in about 1 hr 15 min, but it’ll depend on your oven.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt with a whisk in a bowl.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl and combine with a mixer until well-blended.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each.
- Add banana, yogurt and vanilla. Beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients little by little. Beat at low speed until just moist.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.