I wanted to make some fun cookies for Thanksgiving this year and when I found this recipe from The Kitchen Is My Playground, I thought they looked really yummy. The recipe seemed simple too. They’re a cookie version of the popular turtle chocolates, where nuts are dipped in caramel and chocolate (and kind of look like a turtle after).
I’m happy to say these were a big hit. I personally think they’re super delicious! They’re very rich and the chocolate cookie part almost has a brownie taste and consistency. The gooey caramel adds a great texture to the crunchy nuts. I also think they look really nice, too, with the chocolate drizzle on top.
I’ve pasted the recipe below for convenience. I used my food processor to finely chop the pecans. I think I made my cookies a bit too large because I only ended up making 20 cookies using the recipe (and they said it makes about 30 cookies).
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg separated (plus 1 additional egg white)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp shortening
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Mix together.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Whisk egg whites in bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Dip each ball in egg whites and roll in the pecans until coated.
- Place each ball 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Make an indentation on top each ball using a small spoon.
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until they slightly start to crack.
- While the cookies are baking, put caramel candies and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about a minute and stir until caramels are melted.
- When cookies are done, remove from oven. Re-indent each cookie with the small spoon.
- Fill each indentation with a small amount of the melted caramels.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate and shortening in a small zip bag. Put in a bag of warm water to soften.
- Knead the bag with your hands to completely melt and mix the chocolate.
- Snip off a small corner and use the bag to drizzle the chocolate over the cooled cookies.