I’ll admit, my fiance and I have done a lot of eating out lately, which is not the healthiest choice. We wanted to get back to cooking at home and I’ve been getting lots of healthy inspiration from Skinnytaste. Particularly, we wanted to try this amazing lasagna roll recipe which allows you to still enjoy cheese and pasta without that many calories. It’s also pretty similar to another Skinnytaste recipe we loved, Stuffed Chicken Rollatini. I’m a big zucchini fan, so I love how lots of healthy recipes use it!
The lasagna was a big hit and it was also incredibly filling! The leftovers refrigerated well, so we were able to enjoy it for many days after. I’ve posted the recipe below for convenience but I highly recommend checking out the Skinnytaste blog for more recipes.
- 8 lasagna noodles (I used Barilla)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, grated & squeezed dry
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp part skim riccotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups marinara sauce (I used Classico)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to box instructions.
- Ladle 1 cup of marinara sauce into your baking dish and spread evenly.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, saute the garlic and olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add zucchini and salt and pepper (to taste) and saute for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- In a medium bowl, combined the cooked zucchini, riccotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper.
- Dry the lasagna noodles and lay each one flat.
- Take 1/3 cup of the zucchini and cheese mixture and spread evenly over each noodle.
- Roll up each lasagna and place in the baking dish, seam side down.
- Ladle the remaining sauce over the lasagna rolls. Top each roll with 1 tbsp of mozzarella cheese.
- Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.