YouTube loves to suggest all kinds of videos for me and recently they suggested this cooking video from Laura Vitale:
It’s a recipe for Pesto Trepanese, which is like a pesto sauce mixed with tomatoes. Her version also uses almonds instead of the usual pine nuts. Since the only pesto recipe in my repertoire uses cream and is pretty unhealthy, I thought I’d give this a try. Plus, tomatoes with pasta is just perfection.
I’m happy to say it was pretty delicious! And super easy and quick to make, too. The sauce itself has a tendency to settle, so I’d recommend stirring really well before serving. (I think she says in the video that it’s better the longer you let the sauce soak into the pasta) It has a really nice nutty flavor, especially with whole wheat pasta.
I pasted the recipe below for convenience but you can also check our the recipe on Laura Vitale’s website.
- 1/2 lb tomatoes, plum or cherry
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 box whole wheat linguine
- Prepare pasta according to box instructions.
- In a food processor, add tomatoes, basil, almonds, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times to blend.
- Add olive oil and continue pulsing until desired consistency.
- Add the sauce to a bowl and mix in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Toss with pasta and serve.