I am now the owner of a slow cooker! I’m really excited to try out all of the delicious and easy slow cooker recipes everyone raves about. To start with, I found this chicken recipe from Damn Delicious that has lots of tasty ingredients and is somewhat healthy, too. I was nervous since I had never used a slow cooker before but it turned out great!
My fiance accidentally bought chicken drumsticks instead of thighs (like the recipe says), but it still turned out well. I decided to cook on low for 7-8 hours but there is a faster option, too. I think the broiling step adds a nice touch at the end, too.
I’ve posted the recipe below for convenience.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 16 oz baby carrots
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Put the chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots and soy sauce mixture into your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Baste once every hour.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the green beans.
- Preheat oven to broil. Put chicken legs onto a baking sheet (skin side up) and broil until crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with parsley on top.