Lately, my fiance and I have been looking for healthier meals, especially ones that are low carb. I’ve seen dozens of recipes using spiralized veggies in place of pasta, so I bought a cheap SpiraLife Vegetable Spiralizer from Amazon to try it out. (It’s easy to use, but will be more difficult with harder vegetables, like carrots)
I found a great recipe on my favorite healthy recipe blog, Skinnytaste, which included spiralized zucchini and some of my favorite ingredients: mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. I’m happy to say it was incredibly tasty; my fiance also gave it two thumbs up. Lucky for us, it’s a pretty low calorie recipe and we didn’t have to feel guilty about eating the whole thing.
Click here to see the whole recipe but I’ve posted it below for convenience.
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (I minced them for more flavor)
- 3/4 lb grape tomatoes, halved
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and oregano.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add chicken and cook, while stirring, for about 6 minutes, until cooked through and browned. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until tomatoes soften.
- Increase heat to high. Stir in spiralized zucchini, basil and salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and mozzarella to skillet and serve immediately.