I love easy dinners, especially ones involving pasta! I found this recipe from Little Broken and it was perfect. It’s pretty easy to make and the chicken meatballs turn out really moist and delicious.
I did end up modifying it a little bit. I doubled everything except for the amount of pasta, which resulted in a solid 4-5 servings. I think if I would’ve stuck to the original, it would’ve been a good dish for 2 people, but then I would have ingredient leftovers. By doubling it, I was able to use everything I bought from the store.
Also, since the meatball mix was very moist, I used ice cream scoop to form my meatballs, but they didn’t hold their shape well and ended up with flat bottoms. I broiled them for 6-7 minutes because they didn’t seem remotely cooked at the 3-4 minute mark, like the recipe advises.
I’ve pasted the recipe below the way I made it. Enjoy!
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp grated onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley (fresh is better but I used dried)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 – 1/2 reserved pasta water
- 1 jar of tomato basil pasta sauce (I used Barilla)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mini mozzarella balls/pearls (or you can dice fresh mozzarella)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the panko and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes, until all the milk is absorbed.
- Add ground chicken, eggs, onions, garlic, parsley, sour cream, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix well. (The mixture will be pretty wet)
- Set your oven’s broiler to HIGH.
- Lightly coat your baking sheets with cooking spray or oil.
- Place meatballs on the baking sheets (about 1 1/4 inch sized balls) in a single layer.
- Broil on HIGH for 6-7 minutes, or until meatballs are halfway cooked but still pink on the inside.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and let stand at room temperature while you start the rest of the recipe.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Save about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the pasta water before you drain.
- In a large saute pan, heat up the tomato basil pasta sauce.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add cooked pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add more pasta water.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the mozzarella balls and gently stir to combine.